Livingstonia Central Africa Company, later to be named the African Lakes Company, was established in Glasgow, Scotland in 1877 to promote trade and reduce the impact of slavery in the region around Lake Nyasa (between what is now Malawi and Tanzania). Trade posts were set up in Nyasaland and along the Zambezi River, and steamboats were operated on Lake Nyasa.
The company was renamed the African Lakes Company in 1894.
In 1908 a rail link reduced the significance of the company, and it segued into developing an automobile business, particularly Mandala Motors, established in 1924.
The African Lakes Company was ultimately absorbed by the British South Africa Company.